1 c. sifted all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1 c. (2 sticks- 1/2 lb) melted margarine or butter
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Mix all ingredients for filling together until blended (can be made 1 day ahead) .
2. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
3. Butter 9x13 inch baking pan. (I spray with Pam)
4. Combine dry ingredients for batter in large bowl.
5. Mix butter, sugar, eggs and extract, then add to dry ingredients.
6. Pour 1/2 batter (1 cup) into prepared pan.
7. Spread all of filling over batter. Spread gently without mixing filling into batter.
8. Spread remaining 1/2 batter over filling.
9. Bake 70 to 90 minutes or until sets. Top will be rich brown.(
okay to cook only 45 minutes, refrigerate, then reheat at 300 degrees for 30 minutes)
10. Serve warm, cut into squares.
11. Serve with sour cream, strawberries or blueberries.
(I take a bag of frozen berries, add a bit of water and simmer down until thickened)